Mosquitoes can be major pests, so as a property owner, it’s understandable if you want to take some steps toward keeping them away from your property. At the very least, mosquitoes are a nuisance—it’s annoying to have to deal with a significant mosquito presence any time you want to spend time outside. But in some cases, mosquitoes can be dangerous, carrying viruses that infect millions of people around the world every year. The relatively recent outbreak of the Zika virus is just one example of a disease that was aided in its surge, in part, by mosquitoes.
One step you can take is using your irrigation system to spray for mosquitoes. Here are just a few mosquito control facts that demonstrate the benefits associated with using these systems in Fort Lauderdale, FL:
- Safe: It’s understandable to be concerned about spraying substances on your property, or using your irrigation system for something other than watering the lawn, but the good news is the pesticide used for mosquitoes is completely safe, so you don’t need to worry about your health or the health of your children or pets.
- Efficient: The use of an irrigation system to spread mosquito pesticide saves both time and money. Because you already have the infrastructure installed in the form of your irrigation system, you don’t have to worry about purchasing separate equipment. The fact that you can run the pesticide through the irrigation system means the process is fully automated, so you don’t have to worry about applying the pesticide manually.
- Run alongside the sprinkler: The mosquito control attaches to your existing sprinkler system and puts certain amounts of the product into the system while your sprinkler is running. This means you don’t have to choose between watering or spreading insecticide—you can do both at the same time with the same equipment.
- Easy to use: The most common types of mosquito control systems that attach to home irrigation systems are very easy to use, thanks to their digital control menu with sensible user interfaces. The machine should be able to cover up to 12 sprinkler zones, which is more than enough for most properties. All you need to do is fill the reservoir and choose how frequently you want the insecticide to be applied.
- Long lasting: For most mosquito control systems, you’ll have a five-gallon reserve of the concentrate, which should last you for months. If you start to run low on the insecticide concentrate, the machine will alert you so you know when to put in more.
- Doesn’t just deal with mosquitoes: While you might have purchased the system for mosquitoes, the insecticide actually handles a variety of pests, including fleas, ticks and fire ants, giving you some additional, much-needed protection, especially if you have pets and kids who spend time outside.
To learn more about irrigation mosquito control in Fort Lauderdale, FL and get answers to your questions about these systems, get in touch with the experienced team at Spillers Sprinklers Inc. today.